Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sara-Asagishi Elementary


This past Friday I went to Asagish Elementary. This is my second elementary and while at my first school I taught over 100 students at one time, at Asagish there are only 10 students in the whole school. Asagish is very far and as some of my Shitakoji teachers have said 'In the middle of nowhere.' The elementary school is surrounded by beautiful mountains and it is a very quiet rural community. The first and second grade were together, 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th. The children were all very friendly and the school reminded me of the rural Japanese school I went to when I was in the 4th grade. My school was much larger, but had a similar feel.

This picture was taken after recess. Unfortunately, it was also after a little accident. We were playing Freeze tag (Koori Oni-Ice Deamon)and the little girl in the pink tank top (a first grader) got hurt. Someone or some kids hit her too hard when they were tagging her. By the time I had to leave, we managed to get her to smile again. They all were saying "Goodbye" and "See you" from the windows as their principle drove me back to my Junior High School.

I gave the kids bookmarks and stickers, so the 3rd and 4th graders gave me an acorn and the 5th and 6th graders gave me a little paper doll they made. I was supposed to teach them directions in English using the doll and going to places on a map...but it was a little too difficult for them so I taught them, left, right, straight, behind.

No comments: