Thursday, September 6, 2007

Catherine- Adjusting to Life in Japan

I don't know about my fellow AET's (assistant English teachers) but some of the things I am having the most trouble adjusting to are not related to the fact I'm in Japan. I live alone for the first time in my life. I don't have a roommate, house mates, or family around to make noise and be there when I get home. I am saved all the hassles like dirty dishes in the sink that aren't my own or the washing machine being in use every time I want to wash clothes but I am left with a totally empty house. There is no one to say, "I'm home" to or to say "good morning" to; there's no one to fight with. My things are never moved from where I drop them but there is no one to help me clean up.
I have always been an independent person completely comfortable with my own company but now that I know it is not possible I really miss having someone around. I have great friends. My job is a lot work but has many compensations. I love being in Japan meeting new people and seeing new things. At the same time I really miss arguing with my mother in person.

No comments: